Community art has been the thread of my life since 1981. I work freelance, finding my path through art projects, writing, talks and research – work that is interesting, useful and helps pay the bills. This site presents some of that work, with free downloads of most of my books, essays and reports. Between 2016 and 2019, my energy went on A Restless Art, a book about the history, theory and practice of participatory art, published in 2019. Now, I’m doing more art work again, which is a joy: you can find that on another site, Regular Marvels. My work currently includes:
- TRACTION, a three year European programme of community opera and new technology, where I’m working on artistic and social aspects.
- TEAM in Pembrokeshire and Wrexham, where I’m working on evaluation of community projects for National Theatre Wales
- Contested Desires, a Creative Europe project led by D6, where I’m working on capacity building workshops and evaluation.
- Short papers about culture and development for a learning programme by the Swiss Foreign Ministry.
- A Dead Good Life, a film about growing older as a person with learning difficulties, made with The Lawnmowers theatre company.
- Fabulamundi, a project to support playwrights and exchanges between European theatres, coming to an end in September 2020.
Over the years, I’ve worked with thousands of inspiring people in the UK, throughout in Europe and further afield — Colombia, Japan, Burkina Faso, Tadjikistan… We’ve learnt from each other, and created projects that have made a real difference in people’s lives. On the menu above, you can read more about that work, and download my books, reports and essays. If you’d like to know more, or you’d like to talk about some work, please get in touch with me. I’m always happy to talk.