This site presents my work as a freelance community artist, writer, consultant, researcher, and facilitator. That’s a lot of roles but it’s always about people’s right to make art on their own terms. It’s work I’ve been doing for nearly 40 years, and if you want to know more about the journey, there’s plenty about it on this site. Since 2015, my main work has been researching and writing a book about participatory art. A Restless Art will be published by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in January 2019.
Alongside that I’m also working with:
- The Lawnmowers theatre company on A Dead Good Life (working title), a film about growing older as a person with learning difficulties;
- ECCOM and PAV on Fabulamundi, a European project to support playwriting and exchanges between theatres;
- National Theatre Wales to support the evaluation of their community-based TEAM projects in Pembrokeshire and Wrexham;
- Graeae on the evaluation of This Is Not For You, an outdoor production created with 25 disabled veterans as part of 14-18 Now;
- Emergency Exit Arts to advise on the evaluation of Paper Peace;
- City Arts on the development of new ways of integrating artistic quality assessment with planning;
- And with Multistory, Creative Black Country, Brighton People’s Theatre and others on new projects.
Over the years, I’ve worked with thousands of inspiring people in the UK, throughout in Europe and further afield—Colombia, Japan, Burkina Faso, Tadjikistan… We’ve learnt from each other, and created projects that have made a real difference in people’s lives. On the menu above, you can read more about that work, and download some of the books, research and essays I’ve written about it over the years. It’s not all there yet, but I’m adding to it when I get time.
If you’d like to know more, or if there’s some work I might be able to help with, please do get in touch with me. I’m always happy to talk about new ideas.